“Six Flags” and “Gurnee” are trending on Twitter after Chicago Tribune reports that three people were injured in a shooting in the parking lot of the Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, Illinois, Sunday night. The park’s communication specialist Rachel Kendziora said the shots were fired from one vehicle that immediately drove away after the shooting. Two of the victims are being evaluated at an area hospital. However, the third victim declined treatment. Authorities haven’t released the victim’s ages and genders.
Following the shooting, Six Flags Great America closed the park down early, and all guests and team members departed under the direction of the Gurnee Police Department. Unfortunately, this shooting comes just months following a mass shooting on July 4th. As we previously reported, 22-year-old Robert “Bobby” Crimo III was taken into custody after he was named as a person of interest in the Highland Park, Illinois, shooting that claimed the lives of six people and left more than two dozen others injured.
Officials say they believe Bobby fired from a nearby rooftop where a high-powered rifle was later recovered. A recent update from ABC News on July 27th states Bobby is charged with 21 counts of first-degree murder, three counts for each victim. Also, prosecutors said 48 counts of attempted murder and 48 counts of aggravated battery with a firearm (for each person hit by a bullet, bullet fragment, or shrapnel).
In a statement, Lake County State’s Attorney Eric Rinehart said, “Our investigation continues, and our victim specialists are working around the clock to support all those affected by this crime.” In addition to the charges, authorities believe the mass shooting had been planned for weeks. There are no other updates for the Six Flags shooting, but law enforcement is investigating.